Friday 15 November 2013

Trip to town and Zumba!

On Thursday all of us TYs went into got a bus (well 2 buses) into Dublin to go to the National Library, the National Museum and the National Gallery.


First up my class went to the National Museum to look at Irish Bronze Age jewelry and Bog Bodies. The gold necklaces were called  Lunulae. The tour guide described how they might not have been worn by people as they were never found with people, but in rural areas. One theory is that they were put on statues, as the edges are quite rough. There were also ear spools that looked like circular boxes, some with beads in them. They went into a stretched earlobe and would rattle as the wearer moved. They looked pretty painful to me! next we went to look at the Bog Bodies exhibition. We looked at three, all of which had no legs. Only one had a head, but it was perfectly preserved.


Next we went to the W.B. Yeats exhibit in the National Library. It was a display showing pictures and documents from throughout his life. It was really interesting to learn all about his life. It had a timeline of events running all around the room, with interactive screens to find out more.


Then it was lunch, so we all walked down to Grafton Street to eat. (That rhymes!) I went to McDonald's with some of my friends. Then we went to the Disney store! It was so cool, I had never been before so I was very excited. There were princesses and Mickey Mouses and more. We also went to Dubray Books, where I bought a book called Fuse. It's the second in a series, I read the first, Pure, over the summer. On the way to our designated meeting area (!) I got some gelato (Italian ice-cream) from a Gino's stall. White chocolate and caramel yum yum!

After that was the National Gallery, where we looked at some paintings by Jack B. Yeats like The Liffey Swim. We looked at one by Pablo Picasso as well, one by Vermeer and one by an Italian painter who I can't pronounce or spell his name! It was really interesting.


Today, Friday, we had Zumba! Usually my class has it on a Thursday but we missed it because of the trip yesterday. I hadn't done Zumba before as I was at a talk last week. It was tiring but really fun! i really enjoyed it.


No comments:

Post a Comment