Tuesday 12 November 2013

Talks and Science!

Last Monday in Junk Kouture the teacher helped me and Aoife design a pattern for the top of our outfit. It's a strapless design and should look really good made out of woven maps. On Tuesday I was in Naas General Hospital. Not because I was sick, don't worry! I was there for talks on Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy. They were really interesting and I got a good insight into the careers. On Wednesday for work experience I was in Naas hospital again as it was the OT staff meeting. On Thursday afternoon I was in Naas for a talk on Clinical Nutrition and Dietetics. That was really interesting as well.

This week is Science Week. On Monday we went to IT Tallaght for a practical display about science. The man who did the display is The Juggling Scientist, but didn't do any juggling for us, though I did see him on the news on Sunday night. It was really interesting. It was called Xtra-Ordinary Science, and was all about huge discoveries made by different scientists like Galileo, Robert Boyle (who is Irish!!!!) and many others. We learnt a bit about pressure from potato guns, from a normal sized one to a super size potato gun made from a copper pipe. It made a huge noise and shot across the room, I think it gave us all a fright. And he literally went out with a bang! He put a balloon on the table and asked 'What is in it?' Naturally as it was floating we all assumed it was helium. He said it could be helium, or it could also be hydrogen. After talking a bit about different gases he tested the balloon to see which gas it was. He said if it was helium that putting a flame to it would make it pop, and if it was hydrogen it would make a larger pop noise. We all got a bit worried when he put on these ear protectors and lit a candle on a long stick. When he held the flame to the balloon it popped with a huge bang and a ball of fire! You could actually feel the whoosh of hot air rushing out from the balloon as it popped. When I told my brother that we saw an actual fiery explosion today he was really jealous, as the most exciting thing that happened to him that day was that he had a maths test. Ha! My day was well better!

All this week I have rehearsals for Little Shop of Horrors, as I am in the Clane Musical Society's November production. The show is next week, I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment